December 14, 2019
5 Places near Parkdale For Winter Snowshoeing
By: Mary Pellegrini
We snowshoe. For us there is nothing better than a hike in the Mt Hood National Forest, fresh snow, no wind, fresh tracks. If it’s snowing, it’s even better.
The Mt Hood National Forest is about 5 miles from the Old Parkdale Inn. Plenty of snow parks, trails, and our favorite, forest roads to explore.
- The Nordic Center at the Cooper Spur Mountain Resort is 8 miles from the Old Parkdale Inn and provides 6.5 kilometers of trails which are groomed for skating and traditional striding. Separate snowshoe trails are also available for winter outdoor enthusiasts.
- The Tilly Jane Ski Trail is tagged with blue ski tags
- Tea Cup Sno Park - access to ungroomed Forest Service Trails that provide a challenging trail system which are open to XC skiing and snow shoeing. (snowshoeing on groomed XC trails prohibited)
- Billie Bob Sno Park - access to ungroomed ski trails and groomed snowmobile trails
- We go up Laurance Lake Rd. It’s 4 miles to the lake and the road continues on for a few more miles and there are many side roads to explore. You might meet another couple of local folks, and usually their dogs. No crowds, just you, the forest, occasional wildlife, certainly lots of tracks. We’ll start your day with hot coffee and a hearty breakfast and be here when you return, with the fire burning and a warm beverage.
Let us be home base for exploring and enjoying the Hood River Valley and Mt Hood National Forest. After a full day, you’ll love the peace and tranquility of the Old Parkdale Inn. Relax in the gardens, perhaps with a glass of wine from a bottle you picked up at a local winery or our wine cabinet. We can even have a bonfire, roast some s’mores, if you’d like. We now have EV and Tesla Chargers for guest use.
Outdoor adventures such as kayaking, windsurfing, skiing, snow boarding, and hiking await. Mt. Hood Meadows, Cooper Spur Mountain Resort, and Timberline Ski areas are only a short drive away, as is the vast Mt. Hood National Forest where trails and wildlife abound. We partner with Mt Hood Meadows and Timberline Ski Area, offering multi-night packages and access to discounted lift tickets. Stay at the Inn and take advantage of our partnership with Wet Planet Whitewater to receive $10 your raft adventure.