National Oatmeal Month – January 2022
Oatmeal is the famed breakfast cereal believed to have been discovered in the British Isles. There are many ways to eat oatmeal. Oatmeal provides a quick way to get the nutrients you need.
Mix in fruits and honey or add nuts, and other grains such as, almonds and quinoa. Even spices like cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice enhance flavor without adding extra calories.
We’re having this Baked Spiced Oatmeal w Cranberries, Apples and Walnuts baked dish, shared by my colleagues at A’Tuscan Estate Bed and Breakfast
Their recipe calls for baking in individual ramekins. I’ll double the recipe and bake in a 9 X 11 baking dish
Baked Spiced Oatmeal w Cranberries, Apples and Walnuts
Serves 4, individual oven-safe crocks
- 2 cups eggnog, plus extra to serve with oatmeal
- 1 2/3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 small apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- ½ cup fresh cranberries
- ¼ cup chopped, toasted walnuts, plus 3 Tbsp reserved
- 7 Tbsp brown sugar, divided
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp cold butter, cut into small pieces, plus 1 Tbsp reserved
- 1 Tbsp maple syrupInstructions:1. Preheat oven to 350◦ F.2. In medium bowl, add eggnog, oats, apples, cranberries, ¼ cup chopped walnuts, 5 Tbsp brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Whisk to combine.3. Evenly divide mixture and spoon it into four 6-7 ounce crocks, mounding slightly.4. Top each crock evenly with the 2 Tbsp of butter cut into small pieces.
5. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until slightly golden. Remove from oven and set aside to cool slightly.
6. As the oatmeal cools slightly, add the reserved 1 Tbsp of butter, 2 Tbsp of brown sugar, and maple syrup to a saucepan over medium heat. Stir to melt butter and dissolve the sugar. Add the reserved 3 Tbsp chopped walnuts to the pan and stir to combine. Remove from heat.
7. Evenly divide the coated walnuts and use them as topping for each crock.
8. Serve warm with extra eggnog and syrup to pour over the oatmeal.
Let us be home base for exploring and enjoying the Hood River Valley and Mt Hood National Forest. After a full day, you’ll love the peace and tranquility of the Old Parkdale Inn. Relax in the gardens, perhaps with a glass of wine from a bottle you picked up at a local winery or our wine cabinet. We can even have a bonfire, roast some s’mores, weather permitting of course.
Outdoor adventures such as kayaking, windsurfing, skiing, snow boarding, and hiking await. Mt. Hood Meadows, Cooper Spur Mountain Resort, and Timberline Ski areas are only a short drive away, as is the vast Mt. Hood National Forest where trails and wildlife abound. We’ve created some enticing packages for your Stay Play Ski and Relax Vacation on Mt Hood. During the summer months stay at the Inn and take advantage of our partnership with Wet Planet Whitewater to receive $10 your raft adventure.